- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pure chile powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 3/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 T-bone steaks, 340g to 450g each and 2.5cm thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 limes, cut into wedges (optional)
- In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.
- Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush or spray both sides of the steaks with the oil and then evenly coat with the rub, gently pressing the spices into the meat. Grill over direct high heat (230°C to 290°C) until cooked to desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium-rare, turning once (if flare-ups occur, move the steaks temporarily over indirect high heat).
- Keep the lid closed as often as possible during grilling. Transfer the steaks to a work surface and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes before carving. Serve warm with the lime wedges, if desired.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Grilling time: 8-10 minutes
Serves: 4 generous servings