- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 package (325g) semisweet chocolate chunks, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins or dried cherries, or use half of each
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt the butter with 1/2 package (about 1 cup) of the chocolate chunks, stirring constantly until smooth. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in the cooled butter-chocolate mixture.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Gradually stir into the large bowl of batter. Add the walnuts, coconut, raisins and/or cherries, and the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chunks; stir to blend. The batter will be stiff.
- Use a tablespoon and wet fingertips to drop 1-inch mounds of the batter onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, keeping the mounds about 2 inches apart (the cookies do not spread when baked). Grill, in batches, over indirect medium heat for 20 minutes, keeping the grill’s temperature as close to 180°C as possible and the lid closed as much as possible. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet until they are easy to remove with a spatula, 2 to 3 minutes, and then transfer to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Grilling time: 60 minutes (3 batches at 20 minutes per batch)
Serves: 36 cookies